.

Sunday, February 10, 2019

A Critique of Henry James Washington Square :: Henry James Washington Square

A Critique of Henry James Washington SquareI leave behind admit it I did not like Washington Square. That said, when I aver the first pull out to Donald dorm rooms afterword, I felt like throwing the book away(p) E trulyone likes Washington Square (220), HA Well not me, Mr. Hall. I am not exactly sure why I kept on fileing maybe I was feeling a little masochistic that day So, behold my surprise when I began to come across many of the authors words that expressed many of the thoughts that I had just active the unexampled and its characters. Luckily, I did not have to read much before some of these ideas came into play. end-to-end the critique, the author addresses not only the work itself, but also how the bosh came to be. I nominate it interesting to learn that Henry James had, in reality, only invented the character of Dr. Sloper. The other characters, as well as the novels briny plot, had come from a story that James had been told. Considering the absolute realism of th e novel, the particular that James had adapted it from reality makes perfect sense.The aspect of this afterword that I found the most intriguing was Halls critique of Mrs. Penniman. Morris Townsend is revealed as her fantasy of an oedipal lover (230). That line really struck me for it seemed to be the first comment that I had read that was unusual and new. Anyone reading the novel could, rather quickly, deduce the general personalities of the characters. The authors observations about Catherine, Dr. Sloper and Morris do not reveal any new character dynamics. But, his ideas about Mrs. Penniman elaborate beyond the usual annoying and selfish remarks.Throughout the Afterword, Hall remarks about the moral conflict of the novel. The author states that The moral force of this novel lies in the paradox of Dr. Slopers wrong-rightnes (224). He goes on to explain that the reader has a love-hate relationship with Dr. Sloper. You know that he is right about Morris from the beginning, but it is very difficult to overlook what a horrible and cold man he is. In part, I agree with the authors idea it is difficult to fully shun a man who is right. But, Dr. Slopers concerns about Catherine marrying the fortune hunting Morris seem to a greater extent to be concerns over his money, rather than his daughters well being and happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment